Wednesday 11 May 2011

Humming Bird Watching



Humming birds can fly so very fast that you can be looking right at one and not see it. They can be a blur at times and it is a real gift to get a chance to see one. When you see a humming bird it is usually a surprise. A nice surprise.
I was standing on my porch when a humming bird came zipping by. The humming bird took a pause so I was able to get a good look at it.. The object was tiny, blurred and very fast. It paused over a flower and that is when I saw a glimpse of the humming bird. Although my view of the humming bird was very short I saw what a lovely creature it was. I could hear the tiny bird humming with its wings going very fast. I think that is how the humming bird got its name.

The tiny bird had a red throat and an iridescent green back with a forked tail. Since it looked like this I figured out it was a male humming bird: possible a ruby throated humming bird. The bird was very tiny, about the size of

Humming birds are the smallest birds with needlelike bills that are built just right for sipping nectar out of flowers. The males are very colorful like with most birds possible to attract themselves to predators to protect their families. When a humming bird flies the motion of their wings is so rapid that you can see them clearly. Humming birds look like a blur as they fly past you. When they stop to eat they hover in one spot and that makes them easy to see. Humming birds have a diet mostly of nectar from flowers but they will eat an occasional insect. I think the brightly colored flowers are the humming birds favorite flower. Red flowers are the absolute favorite flower of the humming bird.

Most humming birds live in the tropics. But you can see them in the western hemisphere as well.My humming bird that I saw buzzed past me with a gentle whirring sound as it went by. Then it hovered over a white petunia looking at me for just a moment. Then he whizzed away to parts unknown. I usually see several humming birds in my flower garden every summer. So far I have seen just one. I welcome them here by planting flowers I think they will like. Flowers with deep flowers for the humming bird to put their long needle bill down into to get the nectar out are the humming bird's favorites.
      I love to sit by and watch the humming birds. Some people put out humming bird feeders to attract humming birds to. I think flowers attract humming birds just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment